You might not transform or make illegible a card's title or mana price. Other constraints also apply. an event's head judge may be the final authority on whatever takes place for the reason that event, including exactly what card alterations are acceptable.
- Indeed you can obscure and remove the guidelines text.
- You simply cannot entirely replace the art work, the card must be recognisable by its art.
- The manacost must nevertheless be legible.
- The name must be legible.
The appropriate rules because of this question are available in the MtG competition guidelines (pdf):
3.3 Authorized Cards
Players could use any Authorized Game Cards from secret: The Gathering expansions, core sets, special sets, supplements, and promotional printings. Authorized Game Cards are cards that, unaltered, meet up with the following circumstances:
- The card is genuine and published by Wizards of Coast
- The card features a typical Magic back or is a double-faced card.
- The card doesn't have squared corners.
- The card has actually black or white edges.
- The card isn't a token card.
- The card isn't damaged or altered in a manner that might create it marked.
- The card is usually appropriate for tournament as defined by the structure.
The pinnacle Judge of a conference may issue a proxy (see part 3.4) for a card that is used or damaged during the tournament.
Some other cards which are not Authorized Game Cards tend to be restricted in all sanctioned tournaments.
Unglued and Unhinged basic land cards are allowed in sanctioned secret tournaments.
Players could use cards through the Alpha printing only when the deck is within opaque sleeves.
People could use otherwise-legal non-English and/or misprinted cards provided they're not with them generate a bonus through the use of deceptive text or images. Official marketing textless means tend to be permitted in sanctioned Magic tournaments which they'd usually be appropriate.